There's a lot of history behind the Mendon Greenhouse & Florist, going back to the Parkinson Family in the 1940's. Mr. Parkinson and his family lived in the house at 7 Hastings St, and ran his Dairy operation in now what is the Mendon Country Gift Barn. He grew Carnations and Chrysanthemums in the 3 greenhouses and a field out in the back.
In the 1970's, the House and Greenhouses were purchased by brothers Dean and Cal Wiegers and their families. At the same time, the Ober family purchased the Dairy Barn and developed the Mendon Country Gift Barn.
In 1995, Colleen Oncay and her family (with father Craig Wallace) purchased the Greenhouse operation from Mr. Wiegers and 17 years later is still at it! The Jones Family purchased the house in 2006, and leases the property to Colleen. The Jones' found an old photo of the tall chimney stack which was used when Mr Parkinson heated the Barn, House, and Greenhouses with one gigantic Boiler. In honor of its history, they adorned the chimney with the Mendon Greenhouse sign.
Copyright © 2013 Mendon Greenhouse.